Country Club Sandwiches
You don't have to be rich to eat well, especially when you whip up these rich-tasting sandwiches.
You Will Need:
- 2 8-ounce filet mignon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 slices hand sliced artisan thick white bread
- Mayonnaise, as needed
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- 2 bunches watercress
- 16 slices vine-ripened heirloom tomatoes
- 16 slices thick cut, crispy cooked bacon
1. Rub filets with olive oil. Season with black pepper and set aside.
2. Heat a small cast-iron or heavy-duty skillet over medium high heat. When hot, sprinkle the pan lightly with salt and add the meat. Cook the filets for 2 minutes on each side. The meat should be nicely browned on the outside but will be evenly pink inside.
3. Remove and refrigerate the filets until cold. Slice against the grain as thinly as possible. Place each slice between sheets of plastic wrap, drizzle with olive oil and pound lightly to flatten. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Pile the lettuce leaves in stacks of four. Place a piece of bread over as a template and trim lettuce to fit the bread.
5. On a cutting board, lay out 3 slices of toasted bread and spread each with mayonnaise. Place a trimmed lettuce stack on the first piece of toast. Lay a tomato slice over the lettuce, the bacon over the tomato, a few slices of filet over the bacon, and lastly a handful of watercress. Repeat this procedure with the second slice. Gently place the first stack atop the second, and then place the last piece of bread over the top.
6. Secure the layers with skewers and cut into quarters with a serrated knife. Serve with homemade potato chips, if time permits!