Chinese Spaghetti Western
We guarantee you've never had a succulent spaghetti dish quite like this spicy-sweet Asian delight.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Szechwan peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
Chicken and Noodles:
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, sliced thinly
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 pound fresh Shanghai-style noodles or Chinese egg noodles
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 each red and yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced thinly
- 5 scallions, white and green parts, sliced thinly on the diagonal
- 3 cups thinly sliced Napa cabbage
- 1/2 cup fresh coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh mint
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sauce ingredients and set aside. In a dry sauté pan over medium heat, toast the Szechuan peppercorns for 1 minute and add to the sauce mixture and set aside.
- In a second mixing bowl, combine the soy and oyster sauces; add the sliced chicken, toss to coat and refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the noodles according to package directions, drain, rinse well with cold water, and set aside in a colander to drain again.
- Place a wok or a wide skillet over high heat until hot. Add the peanut oil and swirl the pan to coat the bottom and sides with oil. Add the cashews and stir fry 30 seconds until golden around the edges. Remove and roughly chop.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, 10 seconds; then add the chicken and stir-fry for 2 minutes, and then add the sliced bell pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk the reserved sauce mixture together and add to the chicken; cook 45-60 seconds, until the chicken is fully cooked. When the sauce boils and starts to thicken, add the noodles, cashews, scallions, and Napa cabbage. Toss to coat the noodles and continue cooking until completely heated. Garnish with mint and cilantro and the chopped toasted cashews.