Divorced Eggs and Broken Home Fries
Nevermind making any side dishes, this recipe helps you create a complete meal. And ignore the fact that eggs are usually for breakfast--you'll want to eat this delicious meal any time of the day.
For the Red Sauce:
- 1 cup dried California or New Mexico chiles
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
For the Green Sauce:
- 1 lb. fresh tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 fresh jalapeno
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
For the Eggs:
- 3 quarts water
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 8 very fresh eggs
- dry Mexican cheese, for garnish
For the Broken Home Fries:
- 2 russet potatoes cut into 2" chunks
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 family, strained & separated
1. Make the red sauce: Combine the dried chiles, tomato, water, salt, and vinegar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and simmer for five minutes, then transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Strain into a small saucepan, cover and keep warm over low heat.
2. Make the green sauce: Heat an ungreased griddle or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Place the tomatillos, garlic, and jalapeno on the griddle and roast for about 10 minutes, until the tomatillo skins begin to blister and brown on all sides. Transfer to a blender and add the salt, sugar, and chicken broth; blend until smooth. Strain into a small saucepan, stir in the chopped cilantro; cover and keep warm over low heat.
3. Poach the eggs: Combine the vinegar and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Crack the eggs one-by-one into a small bowl, and then slide each egg from the bowl into the boiling water. Cook until the whites are just set, about 3 minutes. Remove from the boiling water with a slotted spoon and place gently into an ice water bath.
4. Cook potatoes: Place potatoes, rosemary, and olive oil in a medium nonstick saucepan and cover with chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the stock evaporates, about 20 minutes. When the potatoes soften, break apart and continue cooking until brown and yummy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Serve: Warm the poached eggs by placing into the hot sauces. Serve over home fried potatoes and top with more sauce and crumbled cheese. Garnish with cilantro and serve at once.
6. After dinner, call a good lawyer and arrange to have your guests get custody of the dirty dishes.