Please Don't Feed the Animal Crackers
Hands down, this may be the easiest recipe we have ever offered on our show. But that doesn't mean that these quick cookies aren't fun and delicious!
You will need:
- 1 cup whole oats
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 6-8 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 whip
- 1 chair
- 1 glass of milk
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Grind oats in a coffee grinder until very fine.
3. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the honey, chopped lemon zest, salt, cinnamon, flour, and baking soda; blend thoroughly.
4. Add the butter in pieces and cut into the mixture with a pastry blender or 2 knives.
5. Add buttermilk as needed to form malleable dough. Knead well until smooth.
6. Roll out as thinly as possible and cut with various animal-shaped cookie cutters. Transfer to an ungreased cookie sheet and bake 10-15 minutes, until light brown and subdued.
7. Reassure any animal rights activists present that it's okay to eat these animal crackers because no actual animals were harmed in the production of the recipe. (Feel free to remind them that unless someone cheerfully volunteers to clean up, you can't guarantee the safety of any humans in the area.)