Smokin' Jim Curry
If prepared correctly, this slightly spicy lamb dish will melt in your mouth and take you to new heights of culinary pleasure. Of course, if you screw it up, that's your own darn fault.
You will need:
- 1/2 cup cumin seed
- 1/2 cup coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 cup whole black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons cardamom
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 or 2 serrano chiles, halved and seeded
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 lbs. boneless lamb leg, trimmed and cut into 1-2 inch cubes
- 2 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 lb. chopped spinach
- 1 1/2 cups yogurt
- 6 medium red potatoes, quartered
- 1 smoke alarm
1. In a small saucepan, over medium heat, dry roast the cumin, coriander, cloves, cinnamon, black peppercorns, and cardamom for 8-10 minutes, stirring and shaking the pan often. The spices should become brown and fragrant, but not blacken. Transfer the toasted mixture to a cookie sheet to cool, and then pulverize with a coffee grinder in batches.
2. Heat the butter in a large skillet and cook the sliced onion over medium heat about 10 minutes, until the onions are a deep golden brown. Stir often to avoid burning.
3. Add the garlic, ginger, chili powder, turmeric, chiles, salt, 2 tablespoons of the roasted and ground spice mixture and fry for a minute longer.
4. Add the lamb cubes and stir well to distribute with the spice mixture. Cook 5 minutes, stirring often, then add the tomatoes and continue cooking until the liquid evaporates and the spices begin to fry, about five more minutes.
5. Stir in the spinach, yogurt, and potatoes; bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cook, uncovered until the lamb is tender, about 45 minutes. Add a little water or cream if the sauce begins to cook off too quickly. Serve with basmati rice.
6. After dinner, instruct guests to look deep within themselves to reveal their own true natures. With any luck someone will discover a dishwasher.