Sleepless In Seattle"
An Eclair to Remember
Everybody needs someone special in his/her life. If you haven't yet found that someone, feed your loneliness with these rich treats. And who knows, if the way to a person's heart really is through the stomach, maybe you still have a chance.
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup butter cut in small pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 3 eggs, plus 1 for egg wash
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 oz. semi sweet chocolate, melted
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 1 cup of your favorite homemade pudding
- 3000 letters from desperate women
1. In a medium saucepan, combine water, sugar, butter and salt. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
2. Add the flour all a once and begin beating vigorously with a wooden spoon. Continue beating until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. (The mixture will begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.)
3. Remove from heat and continue beating another minute to cool. Add 3 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer the dough to a pastry bag fitted with a 1-inch plain tip and pipe out 4-inch rectangles leaving 3 inches of space between each eclair. Preheat oven to 400F.
5. Brush with egg wash and bake 30-40 minutes, until the eclairs are golden and sound hollow when tapped. Puncture the bottom of each eclair, return to the oven and allow to dry another 20 minutes with the oven off and the oven door propped open.
6. Cut the tops off the cooled eclairs and scrape out any remaining dough on the inside.
7. Fold together the whipped cream and pudding. Transfer the mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a star tip and fill eclairs. Replace the tops and brush with melted chocolate.
8. After dinner, skip the dishes and try to get some sleep.
Makes 12 large or 24 small eclairs to remember