When Harry Met Sally..."
What Am I, Chopped Liver? (AKA...
According to Harry, men and women can't be friends. If they could, however, they would probably share this delicious liver and onion dish. Then, they would share the work of doing the dishes...
You will need:
- 1 lb. fresh chicken livers
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 large leek, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 very close friend of the opposite sex
1. Rinse the liver in cold water and place in a mixing bowl with the shallots, garlic, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Cover and refrigerate 20 minutes.
2. Place the eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with two inches of cold water. Place the pan over high heat and bring to a boil. As soon as the water comes to a boil, remove pan from heat, cover and let sit 10 minutes. Transfer the hot eggs to a bowl of ice water until cool to the touch. Peel, finely chop, and set aside.
3. Heat remaining olive oil in a large saut?n over medium-high heat. Saut?e chicken livers for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer the liver to a plate; add the chopped onions, leeks, and vinegar to the hot pan and saut?bout 3 minutes, until golden brown.
4. Return the liver to the pan with the onions and leeks; reduce heat to medium and continue cooking 5 minutes.
5. Combine the liver mixture in the work bowl of a food processor and chop to desired consistency. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the chopped egg and parsley. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. After dinner, pose this question to your guests, "Can men and women be friends without the dishes getting in the way?"
Makes about 1-1/2 lbs.