Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice Cake
This sweet and scrumptious cake will leave you feeling all happy inside, just like this week's sweet and scrumptious movie!
You will need:
For the cake:
- 2 cups (or one 16 oz. can) cooked and pureed pumpkin
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each: allspice, ground cloves, ground ginger, cinnamon
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper and cardamom
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
For the frosting:
- 12 oz. cream cheese
- 6 oz. softened butter
- 8 oz. chopped crystallized ginger
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 new parents
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Mix the pumpkin puree, lemon juice, cranberries, pecans, and maple syrup in a mixing bowl and set aside.
3. Combine the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices and mix well.
4. Add the beaten eggs to the spice mixture and beat well, then slowly whisk the oil into the egg mixture to form an emulsion.
5. Alternately fold the flour and the pumpkin mixture into the egg mixture. Mix well.
6. Transfer the batter into greased and floured pan and bake in the center of the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
7. Place the crystallized ginger in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes.
8. Combine the cream cheese, butter, crystallized ginger, and powdered sugar in the work bowl of a food processor and process until well combined. Spread liberally over cooled cake.
9. Eat as much cake as humanly possible, and then lock your dishes in the choakie.