Batman & Robin"
Why wander over to the friendly neighborhood sub shop when you can transform some innocent ingredients in your own kitchen into this super-powered sandwich? Strong enough to satisfy even the greatest of appetites, this Hero will keep you safe from any hunger pains!
you will need:
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 sweet Vidalia onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup Spanish green olives
- 1 cup kalamata or black olives
- 1 stalk celery cut into matchstick sized pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1/2 cup olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste
- 3 Japanese eggplant, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 lb. thinly sliced raw turkey breast
- 4 oz. thinly sliced provolone
- 4 oz. thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1 French or sourdough baguette, split lengthwise
- 1 anatomically correct chef's coat
1. Cut the top and bottom from bell pepper, pull out the core and cut open to create one large strip. Place pepper skin-side-up on a foil-lined cookie sheet and broil 2-3 inches from the flame until blackened and blistered, about 5 minutes.
2. Place the pepper strips in a paper bag until cool enough to handle, and then scrape off the skin under running water. Dice and scrape into a large mixing bowl.
3. Cut the onion into thick slices, brush with olive oil and broil until brown around the edges. Chop and add to the peppers.
4. Add the olives, celery, parsley, oregano, capers, olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper to the onion and bell pepper. Mix well and refrigerate until use.
5. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Brush eggplant and turkey slices with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Sear eggplant for 2-3 minutes per side. Sear the turkey slices for about 1 minute on each side.
6. Pile the French loaf with layers of cheese, eggplant, and turkey. Heat in a 400F oven for 5 minutes, remove from oven and smother with olive salad. Then eat quickly before Gotham City gets into trouble.
7. If given a choice between doing dishes and saving the world...arrange to have Commissioner Gordon shine the bat-light above your sink.