Murder at 1600"
Wesley's Ginger Snipes at 350
Even high-profile detectives and Secret Service agents need a snack once in a while. When the munchies break out, arrest them with these luscious cookies!
You will need:
- 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus more for rolling
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 street map of Washington D.C.
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2-3 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Combine the crystallized ginger and milk in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a blender and puree until smooth.
3. Sift together the flour, baking soda, ground ginger, salt, cinnamon, and ground clove into a mixing bowl and set aside.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter, shortening, and both types of sugar until fluffy. Beat in the egg, fresh ginger, molasses, and vanilla; continue beating until smooth.
5. Beat the sifted dry mixture into the wet mixture in 3 batches, add the ginger-milk mixture and continue beating until fully blended.
6. Form cookies by rolling a walnut-sized piece of dough into a ball between the palms of your hands. Roll each ball in sugar and flatten to about 1/4-inch thick.
7. Bake until the tops crack and the edges begin to brown, 10-14 minutes.
8. After dinner, have the Secret Service spirit the dishes out the back door to a waiting helicopter bound for Camp David.
Makes about 5-dozen cookies.