Before you head out for the big game, grab a quick bite of some scrumptious corn dogs. You may not win the game, but at least you won't lose on an empty stomach!
You will need:
- 2 ears fresh corn
- 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 teaspoons each: garlic powder and chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 stick butter, melted and cooled
- 2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 8 wooden skewers
- 8 hot dogs, sausage, or vegie dogs
- corn oil, for frying
- a great jump shot
- 1 picket fence play
- 1 well-worn playbook
- 1 longshot at the state title
1. Cut the corn kernels from the cob, scraping as much of the pulp as possible from each cob with the back of a knife. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients; stir together until completely mixed.
3. Whip the egg whites to soft peaks and set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and melted butter, then stir in the buttermilk and corn. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until smooth, then fold in the beaten egg whites. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
4. Slowly heat 5-6 inches of oil in a heavy pot or deep fryer to 365-370 degrees F.
5. Skewer each hot dog lengthwise, leaving at least 3 inches sticking out for the handle.
6. Transfer some of the batter to a tall glass; dust one of the dogs lightly with flour and dip into the batter. Immediately plunge the dog into the hot oil and fry for 3-4 minutes, turning carefully with tongs for even browning. Repeat with the remaining dogs.
7. Drain on paper towels and eat while hot with loads of mustard.
8. After dinner, pat each of your dishes on the backside and send them off to the showers.
Makes 12 Underdogs