Versatile Kevin Pollock in a Hard Roll
In case you didn't know, Pollock is fish. Fry up this tasty seafood sandwich whenever you are in the mood for a good meal!
You will need:
- 4 six oz pollock or lingcod filets
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- peanut oil, for frying
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickles, diced
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup red onion, very thinly sliced
- 3 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons pickled jalape?os or pepperoncini, thinly sliced, with juice
- 4 good hard French rolls, Italian rolls, or Mexican bolillos.
- 2 large, ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 copy "An Actor Prepares a Fish!"
1. Rinse the filets in cold water and blot dry with paper towels. Place in a bowl, cover with the milk and refrigerate 10 minutes.
2. Transfer the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs into individual baking dishes. One-by-one, remove the filets from the milk; drain well and season with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour. Shake off excess flour and dip into the beaten egg. Immediately dredge again, this time with breadcrumbs, transfer to a platter or rack and refrigerate 20 minutes to allow the coating to set.
3. Tartar sauce: Combine the mayonnaise with the capers, sweet pickle and scallion. Stir in the lemon juice and season with black pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
4. Toppings: In a medium bowl, combine the shredded iceberg lettuce, sliced onion, chopped dill, and the jalape?os with their juice. Toss, cover, and refrigerate.
5. Heat two inches of peanut oil in a heavy skillet to a temperature of 365?F. Fry the pollock filets, two at a time, until crisp and golden, about 5 minutes per side. Heat the rolls.
6. Spread each roll with tartar sauce, place the hot filet on the roll and top with the lettuce mixture and sliced tomato.
7. After dinner, lock your dishes in the basement until they work out their dirty dish issues.
Makes 4 pollock sandwiches