Perfectly Legal Nose Candy
This recipe was created to honor the 2001 Academy Award nominated film, Traffic.
You will need:
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-teaspoon peppermint oil, cinnamon oil or hot chili oil
- 1/2 teaspoon food coloring of choice (optional)
- 2 dozen sucker sticks or small lengths of thin dowels
- 1 very, very understanding bail bondsman
1. Wash, dry and grease some lollipop molds or grease a baking sheet.
2. Combine the sugar, corn syrup, boiling water and salt in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir until sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a boil.
3. Attach a candy thermometer to the pan and continue cooking without stirring until the mixture reaches 300F, the hard crack stage. (Really, that's what it's called.) Remove from heat and stir in the flavoring and food color, if desired.
4. Cool 30 seconds to a minute before spooning into nose shaped sucker molds and pushing in the sticks. If you don't have nose molds, lay sucker sticks 4 inches apart on the greased baking sheet. Carefully drizzle the hot syrup into your favorite nose shapes over the top third of each stick.
5. Cool the suckers 45 minutes. When fully hardened, wrap individually in plastic and smuggle out of the kitchen.
Makes 12 to 24 depending on the size of your nose.