Three Men and a Baby"
Lots o' Papas
This week's recipe consists of more potato dishes than you could shake a baby rattle at! Gather the little spuds and dig in!
You will need:
- Yukon gold or russet potatoes
- peanut oil
- garlic cloves (optional)
- milk, cream, or buttermilk
- salt and pepper
- 1 manly front-riding baby carrier (for hand's free cooking )
For the baked potatoes:
1. Preheat the oven to 425F. Scrub potatoes well under cold running water.
2. Dry and coat lightly with olive oil and place on the middle rack of the preheated oven. Bake for 25 minutes, then puncture the tops and continue baking another 30 minutes, or until tender.
For the mashed potatoes:
1. Half fill a large pot with cold water. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Cut 4 large potatoes into 1/2-inch slices and place in the pot along with 3 or 4 cloves garlic and a teaspoon of salt. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the potato slices just below a boil for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse with cool water.
2. To serve, cover with cold water, return to a simmer and cook until fork tender, about 10 minutes. Drain very well and push through a potato ricer into a large, warm bowl. Quickly whip in 1 cup of hot milk and 2 tablespoons of butter and serve.
For the souffle potatoes:
1. Cut potatoes into 1/8-inch slices and place in cold water to prevent discoloration.
2. Pour 5-6" of peanut oil in 2 medium saucepans over medium-high heat. Bring the first pan of oil to a temperature of 325F, the second to 360F. (Use a thermometer.)
3. Dry the potato slices between layers of paper towels, then drop about 10 into the 325F oil. Cook for 2 minutes until lightly browned around the edges, then transfer immediately to the 360F oil. The potato slices will immediately puff up to resemble little pillows. Remove from the oil and drain for a few moments before plunging once more into the 360F oil and cooking until brown and crisp.
For the potato chips:
1. Cut the potatoes into 1/16 - inch slices and place in cold water. Drain and pat dry. Heat 6" of peanut oil to a temperature of 325F; cook the chips for 4 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the hot oil and cool.
2. Heat the oil to a temperature of 365F and return the potatoes to the hot oil. Cook for 30-45 seconds until crisp and golden. Drain well and serve hot with salt.
For the Potatoes Annabelle:
1. Preheat oven to 425F. Slice 2-3 pounds of potatoes into thin slices (1/16 inch thick). Rinse the potato slices in cold water and pat dry. Arrange the potato slices in a nonstick skillet in layers, brushing each layer with oil or butter and seasoning with salt and pepper.
2. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and continue cooking for 20-30 minutes until light brown. To serve, invert onto a serving plate, drain excess oil and cut into wedges
3. After dinner, crank up "Bad Boy" on the stereo, pull out your video camera and invite your guests into the kitchen for an obligatory 80's style, free swingin', dish doin' bachelor montage.