Catch of the Day!
Make sure you pay attention when you gwt your fish...you could end up with a mermaid!
You will need:
- 1 whole 2 lb. salmon, scaled, skin on
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons high-quality soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 8-10 large cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced scallions
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 1 - "You should have seen the one that got away!" bumper sticker
1. Rinse fish inside and out with cold water. Score the skin with a sharp knife and rub with kosher salt.
2. Combine the soy sauce, grated ginger, sherry, sesame oil, garlic, and scallions. Rub half of the mixture inside and outside fish. Cover with plastic and refrigerate 20-30 minutes.
3. Find a roasting pan large enough to accommodate the fish; place a rack in the bottom and fill with water to a point just beneath the bottom of the rack.
4. Place the fish on the rack and set the roasting pan over high heat until the water comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover tightly and steam for 20 minutes.
5. Carefully slide the salmon from the rack onto a serving platter and pour the remaining soy mixture over the top.
6. Heat the peanut oil in a small skillet until almost smoking. Pour the hot oil over the top of the salmon and serve.
7. After dinner, conduct a "mermaid test" by asking each of your guests to dip their hands in a sink of hot soapy dishwater. If they suddenly metamorphosize into a sexy mermaid, call the media. If not, just have them do the dishes.