1 no-pest strip
1. Make the Pie Crust: Preheat the oven to 375F. In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, oatmeal, salt and sugar. Add the shortening and using a pastry blender or two knives, work it into the flour until it resembles coarse cornmeal. Add butter and continue cutting it in until the bits are no larger than small peas. Sprinkle ice water onto the mixture one tablespoon at a time, mixing with a fork after each addition to moisten the dough evenly. Using your hands, gently shape the dough into a disc. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 20 minutes.
2. Butter a 9 inch pie pan. Unwrap the dough and place it on a clean,floured work area. Lightly flour a rolling pin, leaving the flour open and within reach. Roll the dough out to a diameter just larger than that of the pie pan. Transfer the dough to the prepared pie pan and trim the overhang to leave a half inch excess. Fold the excess under itself and pinch the edges gently to form a raised edge.
3. Lightly prick the bottom of the pie shell in a few places with the tines of a fork and bake 10 minutes. Set on a wire rack to cool before filling.
4. Make the topping: Combine the flour, sugar, butter and pecans in a bowl. Work together with your fingers until the mixture resembles course crumbs; set aside.
5. Make the filling: Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan; add the salt and baking soda and stir well to dissolve. Allow to cool 5 minutes before adding the corn syrup, molasses, vanilla and the beaten egg.
6. Sprinkle half of the crumb mixture evenly over the pie crust, pour the molasses mixture over the crumbs and top with the remaining crumb mixture. Bake for 45 minutes or until set.
7. Serve with whipped cream, hot coffee and a fly swatter.