Better Off Dead"
You might be better off dead...or you could just be hungry.
You will need:
- 6 ears fresh corn
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 2 cups baby lima beans, fresh or frozen
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 4 turkey thighs, skinless and boneless
- salt and pepper
- 4 tbl flour
- 4 tbl pure olive oil
- 1/2 tsp fresh sage, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 1 lemon, cut into quarters
- 1 small reason to live
1. Husk the corn, remove silk and cut kernels from the cob into the mixing bowl. With the back of the knife blade, scrape the pulp from each cob into the bowl with the kernels.
2. Dice onion and bell pepper, quarter the tomatoes and set aside. Blanch the lima beans until tender, about 15 minutes; rinse with cold water and set aside.
3. Cut the turkey thighs into bite sized chunks, season with a little salt and pepper and toss with the flour.
4. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half of the turkey and saute until golden brown, about five minutes. Transfer the cooked turkey to a plate. Add the remaining olive oil to the pot and repeat with the second half of the turkey.
5. Add diced onion, bell pepper and sage to the hot pan and saute a few minutes until the onions become soft and translucent. Add the sherry and reduce by half, scraping the pot with a wooden spoon to loosen tasty bits stuck to the bottom and sides.
6. Return the turkey to the pot, add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Cook covered for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the turkey is quite tender.
7. Add the corn, corn pulp, blanched lima beans and tomatoes and simmer an additional 5 minutes uncovered.
8. Season with salt to taste, a squeeze of lemon and generous grinding of black pepper. Serve hot with rice.
9. Get your head out of the oven, relight the pilot lights and coil up any unused nooses. Dinner is served!