Diamonds Are Forever"
Bon Bons.......James Bon Bons
There's nothing better than sitting on the couch, watching TV and eating bon bons. This is the life! Waiter, another glass of champagne, please!
- 6 egg whites
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup finely ground saltine crackers
- 1 cup finely ground pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 lb bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 lb white chocolate
- cocoa powder, for dusting
- powdered sugar
- 1 license to spill
1. Preheat the oven to 300F. Line 2 baking sheets with foil.
2. In a large mixing bowl, (don't use plastic) combine the egg whites, cream of tartar, salt and vanilla. Beat rapidly until the whites begin to stand at soft peaks. (although for Bond, soft peaks may not be possible)
3. Continue beating while adding the sugar a little at a time until the mixture reaches stiff peaks. (much more bond-like)
4. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the ground saltines, pecans and unsweetened chocolate.
5. Transfer the mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a plain tip and pipe 2 inch diamonds, about 1 inch apart onto the lined baking sheets. (You can also just drop the batter from a teaspoon in globs)
6. Bake for about 20 minutes. Turn off the oven and continue baking another 10 minutes until firm.
7. Melt the bittersweet and the white chocolate separately in bowls over a hot water bath.
8. Using a toothpick, dip the diamonds into your chocolate of choice and dust with powdered sugar and cocoa.
9. Employ your best bond impersonation and explain to your waiting cadre of guests and intruders that these are not just bon bons, they're James bon bons. (Don't forget to save a few for yourself. Unlike the real thing, diamonds this tasty can't possibly last forever.)