Big Pigs in a Blanket
Mahoney!! Get back here and eat your dinner!!
You will need:
For the Pork
- 2 pork tenderloin, trimmed
- 1 tsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp garlic
- 2 tsp black pepper, cracked
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tbl mustard seed, crushed
- 2 tbl dijon mustard
- 4 tbl olive oil
- 1 16 oz box puff pastry or croissant dough
For the Sauce>
- 2 tbl butter
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Rome Beauty apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 4 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp caraway seed, whole
- 2 sprigs thyme, whole
- Lots of glazed doughnuts & coffee (a guy's gotta have his caffeine!)
1. Preheat oven to 425?F. Round up and apprehend the ingredients.
2. Mix together and make a paste of the flour, salt, pepper, thyme, mustard seed, dijon mustard and two
tablespoons of the olive oil.
3. Rub paste well into the pork tenderloins.
4. Place a saute pan on medium high heat with 2 tbl of olive oil. When the oil just begins to smoke, add the tenderloins and brown well on all sides.
5. Remove the tenderloins from the pan andset aside. Add 2 tbl butter to the hot pan along with the onions and apples. Saute until softened.
6. Add the white wine to the pan and scrape up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Allow the wine to cook down until reduced by half, then add the vinegar, sugar, salt, caraway seed and thyme sprigs. Simmer until most of the liquid is gone and onions and apples are tender and moist. Cover and keep warm.
7. Open pastry and lay out flat on counter. Stretch by rolling out to create a rectangle large enough to wrap one tenderloin.
8. Brush edges of pastry with egg mixture. Lay tenderloin in the center of the pastry, bring ends of the pastry dough to meet at the top and crimp well to seal. Fold and crimp sides and place seam side down on cookie sheet. Brush all over with the egg mixture and repeat with the second tenderloin.
9. Make three diagonal cuts on top of each and decorate with little dough cut-outs of bullets, billy clubs and doughnuts. Bake in the top half of the preheated oven about 20 minutes or until lightly browned.