Streets Of Fire"
Super Hot Rock 'n Roll Rock Shrimp
Keep some water near by...this meal is rockin' hot!
You will need:
For the Shrimp:
- 1 1/2 lbs raw rock shrimp
- 2 tbl kosher salt
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbl sambal chili paste
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste
- 1/4 cup fine corn meal
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- peanut oil for frying
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 English cucumber, chopped
- 4-6 fresh mint leaves
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeded
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 1 smoke machine
1. Rinse shrimp with cold water, place in a mixing bowl and mix well with the kosher salt. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
2. Combine the egg whites with the garlic, chili paste, scallions and white wine.
3. Rinse shrimp well to remove the salt, pat dry; combine with the egg white mixture and set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine the corn meal, corn starch, thyme, salt, cayenne, paprika and black pepper.
5. Roll the shrimp in the cornmeal mixture, making sure each is well coated. Refrigerate until use.
6. Combine the sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
7. Heat 3 to 4 inches of peanut oil in a large, heavy skillet to a temperature of 365-375?F.
8. Fry the shrimp in small batches for 1-1 1/2 minutes, turning once to color and cook evenly.
9. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels. Pile the rock shrimp on a platter and serve with sauce and lemon wedges, secure in the knowledge that you're the real hero in this rock shrimp fable.
10. Warm up the smoke machine, pour yourself into your favorite latex overalls and keep on keepin' on.