Michael's Really Short Ribs
Before you can slam dunk in tonights big basketball game, fill up on this great meal!
You will need:
- 4-5 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 tbl mustard
- 1 tbl catsup
- 1/4 cup of your favorite cola drink
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbl sesame oil
- 2 tbl minced garlic
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 tbl sesame seed
- 1 tube 'Nair'
1. When ordering the ribs, ask the butcher to cut them to about 2 inches in length.
2. Trim any excess fat from the ribs. Cut half way through the meat side of each rib in a small criss cross. Preheat oven broiler.
3. In a large bowl, combine the ribs with the mustard, catsup, cola drink, soy sauce, water, sesame oil, garlic, green onion and black pepper. Cover and refrigerate from 45 minutes to overnight, depending on the strength of your hunger and the phase of the moon.
4. Toast sesame seeds in a dry saute pan over medium heat until they begin to pop and turn golden brown. Once cool, crush them with a mortar and pestle or with 2 or 3 short bursts in a coffee grinder.
5. Drain the marinade from the beef and reserve the marinade.
6. Toss the crushed sesame seed with the beef. Lay the ribs on a roasting pan in one layer and broil 30 minutes or until brown, turning the ribs over once during broiling.
7. Reduce oven temperature to 375?F. Pour the reserved marinade over the ribs and cover loosely with aluminum foil. Continue cooking until tender, about 45 minutes.
8. Garnish with sprigs of wolfbane and serve with a K-9 bean salad. Be sure to save room for dessert... Full Moonpies, of course.