Rolling in Dough Homemade Ballpark Pretzels
When you have money, cooking is more like a hobby. So, watch your cook closely...you might learn something.
You will need:
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbl active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 cups unbleached, all purpose flour
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 4 tsp baking soda
- 1 quart water
- 1 egg, beaten with 2 tsp water
- kosher salt
- cumin seed
- carroway seed
- sesame seed
- poppy seed
- plenty of tax deductions
1. Combine the water, sugar and yeast in a large mixing bowl and set aside in a warm spot. After 10-15 minutes, the mixture should begin to foam and bubble.
2. Add the salt and half of the flour and mix well with a wooden spoon. Turn the dough out onto a clean, floured surface and gradually knead in the remaining flour to form a smooth and elastic dough.
3. Continue to knead the dough for another 5 minutes before transferring to a clean bowl oiled with a few drops of olive oil. Turn the dough in the bowl to coat all sides evenly with oil.
4. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and set in a warm, draft free place until doubled in bulk, about half an hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 450?F. Punch the dough down and roll into a large log. Divide into 12 even pieces, then roll each piece into a 16-18 inch rope.
6. Shape the pretzels into dollar signs, baseball bats or any other shapes that come to mind. To form a traditional pretzel shape, simply tie the dough into a loose knot pinching the loose ends across the loops.
7. Combine the baking soda and the water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Using a slotted spoon, carefully lower each pretzel in the boiling water until it begins to float, about 30 seconds.
8. Drain each pretzel and transfer to a greased baking sheet, brush lightly with the egg-water mixture and sprinkle generously with kosher salt, cumin, carroway, sesame and poppy seeds.
9. Cover the pretzels with a cloth and allow to rise again, about 5 minutes.
10. Bake in preheated 450?F oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot with plenty of cold beer and mustard.
11. Remember to save room for a frozen asset snow cone or some legal tender chicken tenders.