Jumpin' Jack Flash"
Whoopi's B-Flat Flatbread
Jump for Joy! Yea for Bread!!
You will need:
For the Flatbread:
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups bulgur wheat
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups all purpose flour
For the Garbanzo Dip:
- 1-15 oz can garbanzo beans
- 4 tbsp sesame seeds, crushed
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed with salt
- olive oil, cumin and cayenne to garnish
For the Chile-Mint Salsa:
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 serrano or jalapeno peppers, minced
- 1/4 cup mint, chopped
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Eggplant-Yogurt Spread:
- 1 large firm eggplant
- 1 whole head garlic, unpeeled
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pair Jagger wax lips (rubbertongue optional)
1. Make the dough:Combine the water, salt and onion in the jar of a blender and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Place the bulgur in a medium mixing bowl, pour the onion mixture over the bulgur and set aside for 15 minutes.
2. Add one cup flour to the bulgur and stir with a wooden spoon until incorporated. Transfer the dough onto a floured board, put "Jumpin' Jack Flash" on the stereo and begin kneading. Add more flour only as needed to keep the dough from sticking. When the song's over, stop kneading only long enough to play it again from the top. The second time the song is finished so is the dough, stop kneading. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let rest for 30 minutes.
3. Make the Garbanzo Dip:Combine all ingredients in the work bowl of a food processor and process until smooth and well blended. Spread onto a dish, drizzle olive oil in a trough down the center and dust with cayenne and cumin..
4. Make the Chile-Mint Salsa:Combine and mix all ingredients in a serving bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Make the Eggplant-Yogurt Spread:Preheat oven to 425?F. Pierce the eggplant with a skewer in half a dozen places; wrap the garlic in foil. Place both on a baking sheet and roast for 30-45 minutes. Peel the eggplant under cold water, transfer to a colander and press out any bitter juices. Cut the garlic in half and squeeze into a mixing bowl. Place the eggplant in the bowl with the roasted garlic and mash with a fork until smooth. Fold in the yogurt, olive oil and lemon. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Bake the Flatbread:Evenly divide the dough into 12 pieces. Roll each piece out as thinly as possible. Lay out flat on a lightly floured baking sheet and bake on the floor of the preheated oven for 2 minutes before flipping and finishing for one additional minute.
7. Eat the hot B-flat flatbreads right out of the oven by tearing off a piece and scooping it into one or more of the dips.
8. A Tip from Mick:"Always pace yourself and don't eat too fast, cuz eating on the run gives you gas, gas, gas"..