Kevin Bacon & Cheese Hush Puppies
This appetizer will keep you dancing all night long!
- 8 slices thick bacon
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbl sugar
- 1 tbl baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 scallions, minced
- 1/2 cup corn
- 3 tbl cold water, as needed<
- corn oil for frying
- 1/4 cup parmesan, grated
- 1 empty factory with disco sound system and dance floor
- 1 angry and sensitive (but masculine) solo dance routine
1. Cook the bacon until crisp. Cool and crumble into little bits.
2. Grate the cheeses, mince the scallions and measure out remaining ingredients.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cheddar, salt and pepper.
4. In a second bowl, mix the beaten egg, Tabasco, buttermilk, minced scallions, crumbled bacon and corn.
5. Pour the egg mixture into the cornmeal mixture all at once and stir to make a very thick batter. Add the cold water only if the batter seems too thick.
6. Heat the oil to frying temperature.
7. Scoop out rounded spoonfuls of batter and drop into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about one minute on each side.
8. Roll the hot hushpuppies in grated parmesan and serve with something tasty.
9. Remember, when hushpuppies are outlawed only outlaws will have hushpuppies (and you'll have to cross the state line to get 'em.)