Real Men's Quiche
Real men can cook...seriously!
You will need:
For the Shell:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 oz butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 4 tbl vegetable shortening, chilled
- 1 large egg, chilled
- 2 tbl ice water
For the Quiche Filling:
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 pasilla pepper, roasted
- 1/2 cup jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup hot Italian sausage, cooked and chopped
- 1 ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 fully loaded index finger (Silencer optional)
1. Be a man and make the shell yourself: In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, salt, sugar and butter. Pulse 4 or 5 times to roughly combine the ingredients. Add the shortening and the egg and pulse the machine another 3 or 4 more times until the dough resembles small peas. Scrape dough onto a clean work surface, sprinkle with the ice water and knead a few times by hand. Cover and refrigerate at least 20 minutes.
2. Roll it out and bake it (if you can take it): Preheat the oven to 425 - F. With a rolling pin, roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch. Transfer the dough to the back of a buttered 8" cake pan, trim the edges, prick all over with the tines of a fork and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce the temperature to 375 - F.
3. Get a little rough: In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, half and half, pepper flakes, black pepper, oregano, salt, basil and beat well.
4. Fill it up: Sprinkle the hot Italian sausage and one half of the cheese in the pastry shell. Pour in the custard to 1/4 of an inch of the rim and arrange the roasted chilies over.
5. Can you take the heat? Sprinkle the remaining cheese and arrange the tomato slices over the top and bake for about 40 minutes, until puffy and nicely browned.
6. Macho observation: Who cares if real men don't eat quiche, it takes a real man to make it completely from scratch.