Predestined Cosmic Curry
According to the alignment of the planets, you are destined to make this meal and like it!
You will need:
- 1 tbl coriander seed
- 2 tsp cumin seed
- 1/2 tsp fennel seed
- 1/2 tsp mustard seed
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom (optional)
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek (optional)
- 2 tbl clarified butter
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 or 2 serrano chiles, halved and seeded
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tbl fresh ginger, grated
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2" slices
- 6 medium red potatoes, quartered
- 2 cups baby corn
- 1/2 cauliflower, cut in florets
- 2 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1/2" slices
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen (If fresh, boil for 2 min.)
- 1 12oz can coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 friendly bartender with powers far beyond those of normal bartenders
1. In a small saucepan, over medium heat, dry roast the coriander, cumin, fennel, mustard seed, cardamom and fenugreek for about two minutes, stirring and shaking the pan often.
2. Transfer the toasted seeds to a mortar and pestle or spice grinder and pulverize. Combine with the remaining spices and set aside for later.
3. Heat the butter in a large skillet and fry the onion and chile over a medium heat, stirring often, until the onions are golden brown.
4. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute or two, then add the spice mixture and fry for a minute longer.
5. Add the carrots, potatoes, baby corn, cauliflower and zucchini and saute for 5 minutes.
6. Add the chopped tomatoes and coconut milk and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes, adding a little water as needed if the sauce becomes too thick.
7. Add the peas no more than 1 or 2 minutes prior to service. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with rice.
8. Fateful tip: Enjoy every bite as though it's your first, last and only meal ever to be eaten in this, or any other existence. (Then slip away to a parallel universe and wait 'till the kitchen's been cleaned up.)