Be All That You Can Beef Stroganoff
The following recipe was featured during the presentation of Stripes during TBS's Dinner & a Movie.
You will need:
For the Beef:
- 2 lbs beef tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2" chunks
- salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup dry vermouth
For the Mushrooms and Onions:
- 3 tbl butter
- 3 tbl olive oil
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, quartered
- 3/4 cup pearl onions, peeled
For the Sauce
- 2 tbl shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/3 cup dry vermouth
- 1/8th tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tbl chopped parsley
- 1 shingle (optional)
1. Marinate the filet, sir! Season the meat with pepper and paprika. Transfer to a dish and add the bay leaf, onion and vermouth. Cover and set aside.
2. Saute the mushrooms and onions, sir! On a medium high heat, add one tablespoon each of the butter and olive oil in to large, heavy skillet, add the mushrooms and saute until light brown, about 3 minutes. Add the pearl onions to the pan with the mushrooms and continue sauteing 2 more minutes. Transfer the mushrooms and onions to a dish. Wipe the pan out, add the remaining butter and olive oil and return to the heat.
3. Saute the Beef, sir! Dry the meat off well with a paper towel, salt lightly and saute at a medium high heat until nicely browned, but still rare inside. Transfer the browned meat to the dish along with the mushrooms and onions.
4. Make the sauce, sir! Return the pan to the heat, add the shallots and saute for a minute, then add the beef stock, vermouth, cream, nutmeg and any juice that has collected around the mushrooms, onions and meat. Boil and reduce the liquid until only 1/4 cup remains, then stir in the sour cream and bring to a low simmer. (From this point on, do not allow the sauce to come to a full boil. It will separate.)
5. Construct the Stroganoff, sir! Fold the beef, mushrooms and onions into the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes, until the meat heats through.
6. Company, eat! Taste and adjust seasonings as desired and serve over a shingle, buttered noodles, rice or potatoes. Garnish with chopped parsley.
7. News from the front! Inform your dining companions that you've suddenly been called off to engage in secret nighttime training maneuvers, and will most regrettably be unavailable for KP duty (at ease!).