The Loverboy Caesar (with extra Anchovies)
You can't fall in love on an empty stomach! Eat up!
You will need:
For the Dressing:
- 4 anchovy filets, mashed (reserve oil)
- 1 egg yolk, whipped playfully
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp black pepper, slowly ground
- 2 tbl hand squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tbl red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 c parmesan cheese (reggiano), grated
- 2 tbl extra virgin olive oil (not for long!)
- 3/4 c pure olive oil
- 2 tbl ice water
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
For the Croutons:
- 1 baguette, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 2 tbl oil from anchovies
- 2 tbl extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
For the Salad
* 6 hearts of romaine, washed & dried * 8 whole anchovies * 1 Barry White album (slow and easy)
1. Put on your favorite Barry White album.
2. Combine the mashed anchovies, egg yolk, mustard, chopped garlic, pepper, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce , Tabasco and 1/2 of the parmesan in a mixing bowl and slowly whisk together. Oh, baby!
3. Add the olive oils in a slow, steady stream while whisking constantly. If all goes well, it should begin to get thicker and stiffer. Don't stop now! Keep it up until all of the oil is consumed in a sexy emulsion. Put a little on your finger and bring it to your lips. Umm.
4. If your emulsion is a little too stiff, splash in a little ice water and think about baseball.
5. Cover, refrigerate and think about having a cigarette...oh yeah, you quit.
6. Combine anchovy oil, olive oil, garlic and salt in a skillet and set over medium heat. Add the croutons and toss in the pan for a few minutes until they just begin to brown.
7. Tear the hearts into little pieces or leave them whole (depending on your mood.) Toss with a ladleful of the dressing and a handful of the parmesan. Top each salad with warm croutons, parmesan and anchovies.
8. Take your first bite and feel the flavors explode in your mouth.