Witches of Eastwick, The"
Prince of Darkness Devil's Food Cherry Cake
Although it sounds simply sinful, this delectable delight is fairly simple to make, and has 100% of the recommended daily allowance of yummy goodness. A dark chocolate cake, layered with black cherries and topped with a cream and cherry brandy sauce, it compliments any meal. Throw in some eye of newt, and it?ll also keep evil spirits away.
You will need:
For the cake:
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/4-cup cocoa powder (use Dutch-processed if possible)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/8th teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 H-e-double hockey sticks of butter
- 1-1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 cups fresh, frozen, or canned black cherries, hold the pits.
For the icing:
- 1-1/2 cups whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons cherry brandy
- 16-ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 eye of newt
1. Preheat oven to 350?F. Grease three 8-inch cake pans and line bottoms with wax paper or parchment.
2. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil; add the chocolate, cocoa, and vanilla and remove from heat. Stir until no large lumps remain, then set aside.
3. Combine and sift the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside
4. Combine the butter and brown sugar and beat hard until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
5. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated, and then beat in the sour cream and the chocolate mixture.
6. Fold in the sifted flour mixture in 2 or 3 batches, and then beat by hand for no more than 10 seconds. Don't worry about a few lumps.
7. Divide the mixture among the prepared pans and bake 15-20 minutes in the preheated, hot as Hades oven (until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean). Cool at least 30 minutes prior to icing.
8. Combine the cream, corn syrup, and cherry brandy in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and add the chopped chocolate and whisk until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate 10-15 minutes, or until thickened.
9. Spread each layer with icing and top with cherries. Serve with your brew of choice.
10. Make sure you leave room for some "burned at the steak" tartar.
Makes one three layer cake