My Best Friend's Wedding"
With This Ring Cake I Thee Wed
Even if you're not about to travel down the road to wedded bliss, you still deserve your own cake! Why should married people have all the fun?
For the cake:
- 6 cups peeled, finely grated carrots
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 1/2 cup toasted walnut pieces
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons each ground allspice and nutmeg
- 10 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 5 1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 pounds softened cream cheese
- 8 ounces unsalted softened butter
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 tablespoons finely ground crystallized ginger
1. Adjust oven rack to lower third of oven; preheat to 350F. Grease and flour three graduated ring pans and set aside (1 each 10-inch, 8-inch and 6-inch ring tube pans).
2. Mix the carrots, lemon juice, vanilla, pineapple, golden raisins, walnuts and 2-cups of granulated sugar together in a mixing bowl and set aside.
3. Combine remaining granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices; mix together well. Add the beaten eggs to the spice mixture and beat well; then slowly whisk the vegetable oil into the egg mixture to form a thick emulsion.
4. Alternately fold the flour and the egg mixture into the carrot mixture. Mix well. Transfer the batter into the prepared pans and bake in the center of the preheated oven about 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
5. Combine and beat the frosting ingredients in an electric mixer or food processor and process until smooth and fluffy. Spread a tablespoon of frosting on a cardboard cake round to keep cake from slipping. Begin by creating a frosting crumb layer on each layer of the cake?this very light layer of frosting will help eliminate loose crumbs and will help ensure a smooth presentation of the final layer of frosting on the wedding cake. After applying the frosting crumb layer, place the largest cake, upside down on the center of the cardboard round on a cake decorating turntable; spread frosting evenly over the top with a flat spatula held at a 45-degree angle. Place the medium cake upside down over the first. Repeat with the smallest cake layer. Spread frosting evenly over the sides and top. Decorate with edible flowers, if desired.
(Note: You may want to insert four wooden dowels into each cake layer to add cake height and to allow additional flower decorations for an even fancier cake. Using stiff cardboard rounds under each cake layer cut the same size as the cake layer will provide a foundation to rest upon the dowels).
6. Slice the decorated ring wedding cake into serving pieces and celebrate with a glass of champagne!
Makes: One 3-layer cake