Secret Of My Success, The"
Fast Rising No Fail Souffle
The secret of my success: This dessert!!
You will need:
1-two inch length of vanilla bean, sliced lengthwise
1 1/2 cups whole milk
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
4 oz unsweetened chocolate, grated
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup strong coffee or espresso
zest of 1 orange
3 egg yolks
6 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
powdered sugar for dusting
keys to the executive washroom
1. Set rack on lower third of oven and preheat to 400?F. Butter a 2 quart souffle dish or 6-8 small ramekins.
2. Combine sliced vanilla bean and milk in small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and remove vanilla bean from milk.
3. Cream together softened butter and flour. With a wire whisk, beat the flour and butter mixture into the hot milk until no lumps remain.
4. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer about five minutes until no starchy taste remains.
5. Beat grated chocolate into the milk and flour mixture; continue stirring until all chocolate is completely melted.
6. Whisk in the salt, coffee and orange zest; then beat in the egg yolks one at a time. Continue stirring until smooth.
7. Whip egg whites until soft peaks begin to form. Whip in the sugar a little at a time and continue beating until whites are stiff and shiny.
8. Stir about 1/4 of the beaten whites into the chocolate sauce. Then gently fold the remaining whites into the mixture with a rubber spatula.
9. Pour the mixture into the prepared souffle dish and bake about 30 minutes. (If using small souffle dished, about 15 minutes)
10. If all went as planned, the souffle should be golden brown, rising as proudly as an elevator full of junior corporate raiders their first day on the job.