Flintstones Christmas Carol, A"
Standing Rib Roast with Rockshire Pudding
There's nothing like a drive through restaurant that serves ribs...but these you have to make yourself. Sorry.
You will need:
For the Rib Roast
- 6 lbs. prime rib
- (2-3) ribs, 1st cut
- 3 tbl. olive oil
- 1 tbl kosher salt
- 1 tbl freshly ground black pepper
For the Rockshire Pudding
- 1 c flour
- 1 tsp salt 2 eggs
- 1 c milk
- 2 tbl fat (rendered from roast)
- 3 tbl ice water
For the Horseradish Sauce
- 1 c sour cream
- 4 tbl fresh grated horseradish (mixed with white vinegar)
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
* 1/2 lb brussel sprouts
* 1/2 lb small white onions
* 1/2 lb red potatoes
* 1 stockingfull quarry rocks, freshly cracked
1. Make sure to invite at least one person who has discovered fire and can use tools.
2. Preheat oven to 450- F. Rinse and dry meat and bring to room temperature. Mix salt, pepper and olive oil and rub well into roast.
3. Place meat fat side up in a shallow roasting pan and roast for 20 minutes.
4.Reduce heat to 325- F plan to continue roasting another hour until meat reaches an internal temperature of 125- F. (If you don't have a meat thermometer, figure about 13 minutes cooking time per pound of meat.) Add vegetables during final 1/2 hour of cooking.
5. Prepare batter for the Rockshire Pudding: first whisk together the eggs, salt and flour then add the milk little by little until smooth. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
6. When roast is ready, transfer to a platter and let rest at room temperature for at least 20 minutes before carving (this allows the juices to redistribute through the meat). Raise the temperature of the oven to 400- F for the Rockshire pudding.
8. Prepare the horseradish sauce: squeeze excess vinegar from the horseradish and whisk together with the sour cream, salt, white pepper, and sugar.
9. Gather the clan, pull up a rock and give thanks for this pre-historic occasion. Save any leftovers for roast beast sandwiches.