No Spring Chicken
Find the fountain youth...after you have dinner!
You will need:
- 8 frozen, skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup vermouth or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1-8 oz package frozen artichoke hearts
- 1-8 oz package frozen mixed peppers
- 1-8 oz package frozen pearl onions
- 1/2 cup half & half or cream
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 extra large ziploc freezer bag complete with comfy pillow and breathing holes
1. Remove chicken from freezer and rinse briefly with cold water. Place in a dish and toss with two tablespoons olive oil, vermouth, paprika and sage; cover and let defrost in refrigerator, about 45 minutes.
2. Heat remaining olive oil in a heavy skillet, over medium heat. Remove thighs from refrigerator and allow marinade to drain before browning. Season with salt and pepper. Add chicken to the skillet and brown well on both sides. Transfer chicken to a plate lined with paper towels.
3. Add the crushed garlic cloves and saute a moment until light brown. Remove from pan and set aside. Add artichokes and saute until golden.
4. Add onions, cream, chicken broth, reserved chicken and reserved garlic; bring to a simmer. Cook until cooked through and tender, about 20 minutes.
5. Add the peppers and continue cooking about 10 minutes.
6. Chilly thought: Remember, many are cold but few are frozen.