Somewhere In Time"
You don't need a raging campfire in the middle of the living room in order to enjoy these scrumptious treats. Of course, a little atmosphere would surely only enhance the experience!
You will need:
For the graham crackers:
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1-3/4 cups graham flour
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
S'more things you'll need:
- lots of chocolate
- plenty of marshmallows
- 1 fancy watch with 2 time zone
1. Adjust rack to the upper third of the oven and preheat to 350?F.
2. Combine butter, shortening, and brown sugar in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
3. Add and beat in the egg, vanilla, and honey. Combine the hot water and baking soda and stir into the egg-butter mixture.
5. Turn dough out onto a clean surface and knead mixture for 3-4 minutes, adding just enough graham flour to keep from sticking. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate 20 minutes.
6. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces; roll out one piece to a 1/8-inch thickness and transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Prick the dough all over with a small fork, and then lightly score into 2- to 3-inch squares.
7. Bake until lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough and cool on wire racks. Do not turn off oven.
8. Arrange 8 graham crackers on a cookie sheet; place 1 large (or 6 small) marshmallows on each graham cracker and return to the hot oven for 3-4 minutes.
9. Remove pan from oven and immediately place a square of chocolate directly on the hot marshmallow. Top with another cracker and press down until the melted chocolate and warm marshmallow spread out to the edges
of the graham crackers.
11. Clean up tip: Concentrate really, really hard and see if you can get back to a simpler time ? a time when the dishes were clean.