Pump Up the Volume"
Ham Radio Marconi and Cheese
Pump up the volume, get to the kitchen, and start cookin'!
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1/2 pound smoked ham, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 12 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs mixed together with
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup chips, for angry young sholder
1. Get ready to Cook Hard!: Preheat oven to 400?F.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, evaporated milk, garlic salt, hot pepper sauce, dry mustard, and Worcestershire sauce; set aside.
3. Bring 2 quarts of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until not quite tender.
(A minute or two less than package instructions may call for.)
4. While the macaroni cooks, melt the butter over medium heat in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan and add the chopped shallots. Cook without browning, for 2 minutes, then add the chopped ham and saute until heated through, about 3 minutes.
5. Drain the macaroni; add to the pot with the sauteed ham and mix well.
6. Pour the reserved egg and milk mixture over the hot noodles followed by the grated cheddar cheese. Stir vigorously over medium heat until the cheese melts and all ingredients are combined.
7. Transfer the hot mixture to a large, buttered baking dish and top evenly with the bread crumb and Parmesan cheese mixture. Bake in the upper third of the pre-heated oven until brown and bubbly, about 15 minutes.
8. Pile up the dishes, fire up your transmitter and announce that the 10th caller will receive complimentary passes to that sensational new water park "Raging Sink!"