Medicine Man, The"
Miraculously Cured Salmon (With A Rapidly Disappearing Rainforest Salad)
Cure your hunger with this great catch!
You will need:
For the Salmon
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- zest and juice of 1 orange
- 4 eight oz salmon filets
- 1/3 cup each: hickory chips, brown rice and brown sugar
- 1 tbsp loose tea
For the Sauce
- 2 firm, ripe tomatoes, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno chiles, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 tbsp dende oil (use peanut oil if unavailable)
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Salad
- 1 can hearts of palm, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped parsley
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 quart Ben and Jerry's "Rain Forest Crunch"
1. Combine the salt, sugar, coriander, black pepper, orange zest and juice in a small mixing bowl.
2. Rub the salt mixture evenly over both sides of the salmon filets, cover and set refrigerate 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place the wood chips in a small bowl and cover with hot water.
4. Make the sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients in a small saucepan; heat and keep warm over a very low heat.
5. Line a large, heavy pot that has a tight fitting lid with aluminum foil.
6. Place the soaked wood chips, brown rice and brown sugar in the pot, lightly oil a wire rack and set it over the chips.
7. Scrape off all excess salt mixture from the salmon and arrange the filets on the oiled rack.
8. Cover the pot tightly and place over a medium heat.
9. When the pot just begins to smoke, reduce the heat to low and continue smoking another 15-20 minutes, until firm to the touch.
10. Toss together the hearts of palm, cilantro, parsley and onion.
11. Serve the salmon warm over the palm heart salad and spoon the warm dressing over each filet.
12. Tip: You can never be too drunk to cure cancer.