Lost Boys, The"
Lost Boys 'Stake in the Heart' Tartar
Ponder which Corey is which over this great meal!
You will need:
For the Roasted Garlic:
- 6 heads garlic, whole & unpeeled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 c olives
- 3 scallions
- 1 baguette, thinly sliced
For the Tartar:
- 1/2 cup cognac or brandy
- 1 1/2 lbs sirloin steak, trimmed & very cold
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg yolk, fresh & kept cold
- 1 tbsp shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp capers, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
li>1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 set wax fangs
1. Toss the garlic with the olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme sprigs. Place in a baking dish, cover loosely with foil and roast at 300- F for one hour.
2. Brush the bread slices with a little olive oil and place in the garlic pan during the last 20 minutes of roasting.
3. While the garlic is roasting, assemble the ingredients and tools needed for the tartar. If using a food processor, wash well and place the blade and bowl assembly in the freezer.
4. Remove the meat from the refrigerator and rinse well with cold water. Pour brandy into a dish and lay the steak in the brandy. Turn the meat over after two minutes and repeat with the other side. Transfer meat to a clean cutting board, trim and discard the outer edges of the steak.
5. Cut the meat into one inch cubes and pulse in the food processor a few at a time until coarsely chopped. Wrap the chopped sirloin in plastic wrap and return to the refrigerator.
6. Season the chopped sirloin with salt, pepper and Worcestershire. Form into the shape of a heart and place on a chilled platter. Make an indentation in the center of the heart and place the egg in the inside. Sprinkle parsley on the heart in the rough shape of a coffin, followed by shallots, onions and capers. Drizzle a little olive oil over the top and dust with cayenne pepper.
7. Remove garlic and bread from the oven. Slice the tops of the garlic and suck them dry...or arrange them artfully on the platter with the tender, fleshy, succulent, blood red heart of life-giving meat that seems to be calling you...
8. Serve immediately to your waiting victims or guests. They will be eternally grateful.