Code Blue Berry Tarts
You will need to see a doctor if you don't like this treat!
For the tart shell:<>
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon finely ground almonds
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg, beaten with 2-3 tsp. of cold water
For the pastry cream:
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup half & half
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
For the fruit topping:
- 6 cups blueberries (or any other ripe berry: blackberries, strawberries, etc.)
- 4 tablespoons apple jelly
- 1 gallon I.V. drip coffee
1. Make the tart shell: Preheat oven to 375?F. In a medium mixing bowl, combine and stir together the flour, almonds, sugar and baking powder. Using your fingertips or a pastry blender, work in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
2. Sprinkle the beaten egg into the flour mixture one-tablespoon at a time, mixing with a fork after each addition to moisten the dough evenly. Gently shape the dough into a flat disc, wrap in plastic and refrigerate 30 minutes.
3. Unwrap the dough and using your hands, press evenly into a 9-10" tart pan. When doing this, try to maintain equal thickness around the sides and bottom.
4. Trim any overhanging edges and place in the freezer or refrigerator for 20 minutes, until firm.
5. Bake the tart shell for 20-30 minutes, until golden.
6. Make the pastry cream: In a medium, heavy bottomed saucepan, sift together the flour, sugar and salt. Slowly whisk in the half & half and egg yolks. Continue whisking until free of lumps.
7. Place over medium-low heat and slowly bring to a boil, all the while whisking constantly. Reduce heat and continue cooking and whisking another 2 minutes, until thickened.
8. Strain the mixture into a mixing bowl and immediately stir in the butter, vanilla and lemon peel. Lay a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming and refrigerate until cool, about 1 hour.
9. Put the tart together: Beat the pastry cream a few times, then spread evenly over the inside of the tart shell. Arrange fruit over the pastry cream. Heat the apple jelly in a small saucepan. Brush warm jelly over berries or transfer to a spray bottle and spray evenly over the fruit. Serve immediately.
10. Code Blue! If anyone suggests that you start the dishes, request a second opinion.