Only The Lonely"
Irish Stew for One
You won't be lonely after making this soup!
For the stew:
- 2 lbs lamb shoulder, cut into 1-2" cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups chicken stock, beef stock of water
- 2 each: bay leaf, thyme sprig, garlic clove
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 10 oz can cannelini beans
- salt and pepper
For the Soda Bread:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 copy "How to be Your Own Best Friend"
1. Take a quick peek at your date book...anything on for tonight?...if not, proceed to step 2.
2. Preheat oven to 250?F.
3. Prepare the stew: Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat.
4. Brown the meat in 3 batches, then return all the meat to the pot and add the stock, bay leaf, thyme and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Bring to a simmer, cover and transfer to the preheated oven. Cook 30 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, cut the vegetables. (You obviously have nothing else to do, loser.)
7. Add the potatoes, onions, carrot, cannelini beans and chopped parsley. Cover and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
8. Prepare the soda bread: Meanwhile, make some Irish soda bread. (Unless you've got plans for later?...didn't think so.) Preheat the oven to 375F.
9. Combine the flour, salt, baking soda and rosemary in a mixing bowl.
10. In a small bowl, mix together the tomato paste and the buttermilk.
11. Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and knead just until the dough holds together.
12. Shape the dough into small, depressing, 1 person loaves and brush with a little olive oil. Bake about 15-20 minutes , or until done.
13. Set the table and get ready to party.