Habit Forming Divinity
This sweet treat will have you singing its praises. But you'll feel like a little devil if you eat it all in one sitting.
You will need:
- 2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Light Corn Syrup
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup Chopped orange zest
- 3 "Hail Marys", 2 "Our Fathers" and 1 "My Guy"
1. Grease an 8 x 8-inch pan and line with wax paper and set aside.
2. Combine sugar, corn syrup, water and salt in a heavy 2-quart saucepan over low heat. Stir with a wooden spoon until sugar dissolves, then raise heat to medium and bring to a boil without stirring. Occasionally wash down pan side with a wet brush to dissolve sugar crystals.
3. Place a candy thermometer in the hot sugar mixture. When it reaches 240°F, go to the next step.
4. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until they hold their shape but haven't begun to dry out.
5. When the temperature reaches 250-255°F, whip the sugar mixture ever so slowly into the egg whites. Adding it too quickly will cause the eggs to cook. Beat in the vanilla.
6. Using a flat beater, continue beating until the mixture thickens substantially and begins to loose its shine and stickiness. This can take up to 20 minutes. Be patient.
7. Fold in the nuts and zest and spread into the prepared pan. Cover and refrigerate until firm enough to cut into squares, this can take anywhere from 2 hours to overnight, depending on how long you beat the mixture and the humidity.
8. Cut into squares and refrigerate or store or in an airtight container.
9. Sisterly Advice: Remember, Its fine to hang around with nuns, just don't get into the habit.
Makes about 1 pound