Buffy the Vampire Slayer"
Paul Reuben Sandwich
Feeling a little drained? Here's an inexpensive picker-upper that won't bleed you dry. One of these scrumptious sandwiches should be enough to bring you back to life!
You will need:
For the Sauerkraut:
- 1 lb sauerkraut
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
For the Russian Dressing:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp grated horseradish
- 3 tbsp sun dried tomatoes, minced
- 1 tbsp white onion, minced
- 2 tbsp chili paste
For the Sandwich:
- 1 loaf black Russian rye bread (feel free to use "pan Bimbo" if desired)
- 1 lb kosher style corned beef, thinly sliced
- 1 lb Emmenthaler Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- softened butter, for spreading
- 2 basic black pom-poms
- 1 Red Cross "I'm a Donor" lapel pin
1. Prepare the sauerkraut: Drain the sauerkraut and cover with cold water. Allow to soak 5-10 minutes.
2. Drain again and this time squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
3. In a medium saucepan, combine the onion, garlic, vermouth, chicken broth, caraway seeds and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer.
4. Add the sauerkraut to the vermouth mixture and return to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat about 30 minutes. Refrigerate until use.
5. Prepare the dressing: Combine all Russian dressing ingredients, cover and refrigerate.
6. To build each sandwich: Heat a dry griddle over medium heat.
7. Lay out 2 slices of Russian bread and spread each with a little dressing.
8. Lay slices of corned beef over one slice and slices of Swiss over the other.
9. Pile sauerkraut over the side with the Swiss cheese and spread with more dressing.
10. Put the 2 sides together and butter the outsides of the sandwich.
11. Grill each side until crisp and the cheese begins to melt. Cut in half and serve with cole slaw and a dill pickle.
12. Don your favorite cheerleading garb (sorry...we mean pom-pom technician), pour yourself a virgin bloody mary and repeat after us:
Amilyn Amilyn he's our guy...just don't let him suck you dry! Umgawa!