Bet you wish you had scissor hands right about now...it would make chopping the lettuce so much easier.
For the Salad:
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, finely chopped
- 1 small head Bibb lettuce, finely chopoped
- 1 bunch watercress leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb bacon, finely chopped
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 2-4 oz cans chopped greeen chilies
- 2 firm, ripe avocados, diced
For the Dressing:
- 3 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup good blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 hard boiled eggs, separated
- 1 large box band-aids
1. Toss together the chopped lettuce, watercress and parsley in a large salad bowl. cover with a clean damp clother and refrigerate.
2. Cook the bacon until crisp; drain and set asisde.
3. Season chicken breasts with a little salt and pepper. Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a small saute pan and heat over medium high heat. Lay chicken in the pan and saute for 2-3 minutes, until nicely browned. Reduce heat to medium-low and turn the breasts over. Place a rosemary sprig over each, add the stock and cover. continue cooking for another 5 minutes, or until the meat is firm to the touch. Remove pan from heat and let the chicken cool in the broth. Cut into small dice and set aside. Reserve stock for dressing.
4. Arrange chopped bacon, chicken, tomatoes, chilies and avocado atop the chopped greens ina simple attractive design (an M.C. escher staircase, perhaps).
5. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the chives, mustard, pepper, cider vinegar and a few tablespoons of the chicken cooking liquid.
6. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil a little at a time, whisking constantly. Add and stir in the bule cheese.
7. Dress the salad, garnish with chopped egg and listen to the oohs and aahs as you present your creation to the lady's garden club.
8. Gather remaining unused salad greens together and effortlessly trim to look like bunnies or circus animals (then give yourself a hand...or two for that matter).