Golden Child, The"
Chosen Won Ton Soup, The
Even if you aren't the reincarnation of a celestial deity, you still deserve food fit for the gods! Sip on this delicious soup, and you may finally achieve nirvana.
For the Won Tons:
* 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp baking powder
* 1 egg, beaten
* 2 1/2 tbsp cold water
* If you prefer, pre-made won ton skins are available at most supermarkets, wimp
For the Filling:
* 2 tbsp clarified butter
* 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
* 2 tsp grated ginger
* 1 serrano pepper, finely chopped
* 1/2 small red onion, chopped
* 1/2 tsp curry powder
* pinch ground cloves
* 1 1/2 cups cooked potato
* 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
* 1 tsp soy sauce
For the Soup:
* 2 tsp vegetable oil
* 1 carrot, but into matchstick sized pieces
* 1 stalk celery, but into matchstick sized pieces
* 4 coin sized pieces ginger
* 1/2 tsp cinnamon
* 1/2 cup thinly sliced portabella mushrooms
* 1-28 oz. can peeled tomatoes, pureed
* 2 cups water or vegetable broth
* 1 tsp white vinegar
* 1 tsp soy sauce
* 3 scallions, thinly sliced
* the humble ability to transcend time, space and dimension
1. Make the won ton skins: Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder. Make a well in the center and pour in the beaten egg.
2. Roll the dough out until paper-thin on a clean, dry surface, sprinkling with a little flour as needed to keep from sticking.
3. Cut first into 3" strips and then again to form 3' squares. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp clothier until ready to fill.
4. Make the won ton filling: Heat clarified butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, ginger, serrano and red onion and cook about 2 minutes.
5. Add the curry powder and clove. Lower the heat to medium and cook another minute.
6 Scrape the mixture into a mixing bowl and combine with the cooked potato, cilantro and soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
7. Make the soup: Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the carrots, celery, ginger and cinnamon and cook for 5 minutes.
8. Add the sliced mushrooms, peeled tomatoes and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 20 minutes.
9. Stuff the won tons: Using a pastry brush or the top of your finger, lightly moisten the edges of the won ton skin with beaten egg; place a teaspoon of the filling in the center, then fold the won ton in half to form a triangle. Bring the outer corners together, pinch and seal with a dab of egg wash. Allow to dry for 10-15 minutes before cooking.
10. Cook the won tons in a large pot of rapidly boiling water for 2 minutes, then place about 4 or 5 in each bowl.
11. Season the soup to taste with soy sauce and vinegar and ladle over the hot won tons. Garnish with chopped scallions.
12. Suddenly appears as if by magic before your guests balancing a steaming bowl of chosen won-tons in each of your six hands. Don't be surprised if no one offers to help with the dishes (after all - how many people can wash, dry and stack all at the same time).