salt & pepper to taste
For the Garnishes
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 c sour cream
- 1 c red cabbage
- 1 can pickled jalepenos, drained (reserve juice)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 queso anejo (dry cheese) crumbled
- 1 "Don't Mess with Texas" T-shirt
1. Heat oven to 300- F to warm tortillas.
2. Place marinade ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
3. Place shrimp and chicken in separate, non-reactive bowls (glass) and cover each with half of the marinade. Cover and refrigerate.
4. Heat a dry griddle or cast iron skillet on med-high heat. Place tomatillos, garlic and serranos on the griddle and roast for about 5 minutes until their skins are blistered and dark brown.
5. Transfer salsa ingredients to a food processor or blender, blend for no more than 5 seconds, so that salsa remains chunky. Transfer to a bowl and add cilantro, cumin and salt & pepper.
6. Mix the cabbage, oregano and some of the reserved jalepeno juice. Arrange cabbage mixture and other garnishes on a serving platter.
7. Clean and reheat the griddle. While griddle is heating, open a couple of Lone Stars, clean up the trailer and ring the grub triangle.
8. With a slotted spoon rustle up some shrimp and chicken, letting the excess marinade drain off, toss onto the hot griddle. Add the red onion and pasilla pepper. If griddle is hot enough, you're in for a two minute ride.
9. Place tortillas in oven to warm, being careful not to overheat.
10. Wrap fajitas filling in warm tortillas, add salsa and garnishes.
Tip: Dish tastes better when chewing tobacco is removed from mouth.