Mussels and Shrimp
This delicious seafood combination will have you running to the phone to call your long, lost sibling to enjoy the meal with you.
You will need:
- 2 lbs large shrimp
- 2 lbs mussels
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 tsp saffron threads
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 cup quartered artichoke hearts
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups chopped, canned plum tomatoes
- 2 cups short grain or arborio rice
- 1/2 cup frozen tiny peas
- 1 cup sliced Spanish olives
- 1 ranch fresh egg, divided in two (1/2 beaten, the other half coddled)
1. Peel and devein shrimp, clean and scrub mussels.
2. In a small saucepan, bring wine to a boil, add the saffron and remove from heat.
3. Heat olive oil over medium heat in the largest, heaviest skillet or saucepan you've got. Add the bell peppers and onion until the onion softens, about 3 minutes.
4. Add the garlic, artichokes, bay leaf and paprika and saute a minute more. Add the rice and stir to coat.
5. Add chicken stock and tomatoes, increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered for about 15 minutes.
6. Add the saffron infused wine, shrimp and mussels, cover and continue cooking about 15 minutes until the rice is tender and the mussels pop open.
7. Season to taste with salt and pepper. 5 minutes before serving mix in the green peas and olives.
8. Be sure to save some room for some "Separated at Birthday Cake".