What's Under Your Skirt Steak?
Steak and potatoes...is any other food really necessary?
You will need:
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 2-3 lbs skirt steak
- 2 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp chopped, fresh thyme
- 2 ts p cracked black pepper
- 1 bay leaf, chopped
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2cup olive oil
- 8 ounces Gorgonzola cheese
- 2 cups thinly sliced leeks
- 1 copy "An Actor Prepares"
- 1 jar industrial strength bikini wax
1. Cut the potatoes in half and cover with cold water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook about 15-20 minutes.
2. The potatoes should still be firm and slightly underdone. Cool under cold running water.
3. Trim the skirt steak of excess fat and membrane, then set aside.
4. Combine the garlic, thyme, black pepper, bay leaf, vinegar and 3 Tbsp of the olive oil.
5. Rub the marinade well into the skirt steak, and then spread a thin layer of Gorgonzola onto 1 side of each piece.
6. Roll each piece of steak into a pinwheel and secure each pinwheel with 2 small wooden skewers, 1 at the top and 1 at the bottom. (At this point it should resemble a sensible wraparound skirt.)
7. Cut each pinwheel in half at the midway point between the skewers and season with a little salt and pepper. Set aside.
8. Peel the potatoes and grate through the large side of a cheese grater, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
9. Heat a nonstick pan or well-seasoned cast-iron skillet with a little olive oil. When it is quite hot, spread about _ cup of grated potato and a small handful of sliced leeks. Cover the leeks with another half-cup of potato and saute over medium heat until crisp and light brown. Flip and brown the other side, then transfer to a cookie sheet and keep warm.
10. Wipe the hot pan with a paper towel to remove any remaining potato. Increase the heat to medium-high and open the windows. (It might get a little smoky.)
11. Sear the skirt steak about 2-3 minutes on each side for medium-rare, 4-5 minutes for medium, 6-7 minutes for well done, and 12-14 hours for jerky.
12. Serve each steak on a potato bed, peel off your lashes, pull off your falsies, sit down, and eat like a man.