Wild Animal Crackers
Lions, and Tigers, and Bears...oh, they are just cookies silly!
You will need:
- 1 cup whole oats
- 1 tbsp. yellow corn meal
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 2 tsp. finely chopped lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
- 8-10 tbsp. buttermilk
- 1 leopard, for strength 1 hawk, for sight and 1 alligator, for some snappy new loafers
1. Preheat the oven to 375?F.
2. Grind oats and corn meal in a blender or coffee grinder until very fine.
3. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the honey, chopped lemon zest, salt, cinnamon, flour, and baking soda.
4. Add the butter in pieces and cut into the mixture with a pastry blender or 2 knives.
5. Add the buttermilk and knead well to form smooth dough.
6. Roll as thinly as possible and cut with various animal-shaped cookie cutters. Transfer to an ungreased cookie sheet and bake 10-15 minutes, until light brown and subdued.
7. Reassure annoying animal rights activists it's o.k. to eat these animal crackers because no actual animals were harmed in the production of this dish. (But feel free to remind them that unless someone cheerfully volunteers to clean up, you can't guarantee the safety of any real animals in the area.
Makes a whole herd