I Ain't Afraid of No Roast
When you need a meal, and you don't cook good... Who you gonna call? Well, maybe you could be self-reliant for once, and make this dish yourself.
You will need:
- 1 whole beef tenderloin, approximately 5 lbs. (also known as beef filet)
- 2 tablespoons softened butter or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 cup each: roughly chopped carrots, celery, and onions
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup low salt, beef or chicken stock
- 1 catchy tune to remind self of party to call in the event paranormal activity occurs in one's neighborhood
1. Adjust oven rack to upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Tuck the tapered end of the meat back under itself a few inches and tie the entire filet crosswise with butchers twine. (This step may be omitted, but helps insure even cooking throughout.)
3. Place filet on a large piece of plastic wrap or foil and rub all over with butter and season with salt and pepper. Wrap filet and bring to room temperature, 30-45 minutes.
4. In a medium mixing bowl, combine and toss together the carrots, celery, and onions with the olive oil, tomato paste, thyme, and flour. Scatter the mixture into a large roasting pan.
5. Transfer the filet to a roasting rack and place over the vegetable mixture. Roast about 30 minutes, turning the roast over halfway through cooking, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the roast registers 125°F-130°F. Remove from oven and rest 15-20 minutes before carving.
6. While the roast rests, discard any excess fat (if there is any) from roasting pan and then place the roasting pan directly on the stove over medium-high heat. Add the red wine and beef stock and bring to a boil while scraping and loosening any cooked-on bits stuck to the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Reduce the mixture by half and strain into a bowl. Season to taste. Cut twine from roast, slice and serve.
7. After everyone is sufficiently sated, arrange to have the dirty dishes spirited away to an alternate universe.