Steamy Clay Pot Chicken (and To Kill For Embezzlers Purses)
Flavored with red peppers, jalapeno, and curry, this savory chicken dish will make your "spirit" sing!
You will need:
For the breasts and breast rub:
- 1/2 tsp. each: whole cumin and coriander
- 1/4 tsp. each: saffron threads and ground ginger
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 six oz. chicken breasts, skin on
For the clay pot broth:
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 6 Roma tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno, seeded
- 1 pinch each: curry powder, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
For the clay pot goodies:
- Olive oil, for saut?g
- 2 red bell peppers cut into a 1" dice
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1" cubes
- 16 very small red potatoes
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
For the embezzlers purses:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken legs, ground
- 2 tsp. chopped garlic
- pinch of paprika and cinnamon
- 1/2 lb. cleaned spinach
- 1/2 cup feta
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup clarified butter
- 1 package phyllo dough
- 1 bunch green onion tops, lightly blanched
- 1 potters wheel, plenty of wet clay, and four probing hands
1. Make the rub: Combine the cumin and coriander in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Toast until fragrant and just beginning to pop. Allow to cool; then grind in a spice or coffee grinder and combine with the saffron threads, ginger and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper.
2. Rub the breasts: Rub the spice mixture well into the chicken breasts and set aside.
3. Make the pot broth: Combine the clay pot broth ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
4. Assemble the goodies: Heat olive oil in a large, heavy fry pan or skillet; sear the breasts skin-side down until golden brown. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
5. Saut?he red peppers and eggplant for a moment to soften; season lightly with salt and pepper.
6. Place the red pepper-eggplant mixture in a clay-pot or large glass casserole with lid; add the potatoes and cherry tomatoes; pour the broth puree over the vegetables.
7. Lay the saut? chicken breasts over the vegetables; cover tightly and bake in a 375F. oven for 40 minutes.
8. Prepare the embezzlers purses: Saut?he ground chicken and garlic in olive oil; season with salt, pepper, paprika, and cinnamon; add the spinach to wilt.
9. Spread the mixture out on a cookie sheet and refrigerate to cool. Once cool, drain excess water and add feta and pine nuts.
10. Lay out one sheet of phyllo dough and brush with clarified butter. Layer another phyllo sheet on top of the first and cut into two 7" squares.
11. Fill the embezzlers purses: Place 1/3 cup of the filling in each square and wrap up to resemble a purse. Tie the purse with blanched green onion tops to hold.
12. Place the purses on a baking sheet and brush with clarified butter.
13. Bake the purses for 8-10 minutes at the end of the steamy clay pot cooking time until golden brown.
14. After eating this supernaturally delicious feast, join hands and try to summon a helpful spirit from the afterlife to do dishes. (Lord knows nobody in this life wants to.)