Banana Kick Splits
You may think you know how to make a banana split, but we're gonna prove you wrong! Try this recipe, for homemade splits with special fried bananas! It's a real kick in the pants!
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- One pound unsweetened frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. cherry brandy or almond liqueur
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 bananas, slightly under-ripe, peeled and split lengthwise
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup finely ground peanuts
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Plenty of chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice cream
- Fresh sliced strawberries, crushed pineapple, and chopped nuts, for garnish
- a little respect ...
1. Make the chocolate sauce: Place the chocolate in a medium mixing bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, slowly bring the cream, salt, and corn syrup to a gentle boil. Pour the boiling mixture over the chopped chocolate and whisk until smooth. Add and mix in the vanilla and keep warm until use.
2. Make the strawberry sauce: Combine the frozen strawberries and sugar in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until the sugar dissolves completely. Continue to cook the mixture for 10 minutes at a low heat without boiling.
3. Combine the cornstarch, liqueur and 2 tablespoons of water in a cup and stir until dissolved. Add the mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it comes to a boil and begins to thicken. Remove from heat, cool, cover and refrigerate until use.
4. Make the whipped cream: In the chilled work bowl of a mixer fitted with a wire whip attachment, beat the cream, sugar, and vanilla at medium-high speed until soft peaks begin to form. Transfer the mixture to a clean bowl and refrigerate until use.
5. Make the splits: In a large heavy skillet or frying pan, heat the oil to 365F.
6. In a shallow dish or pie plate, combine the bread crumbs and ground peanuts. In another shallow dish, whisk the eggs.
7. One-by-one, coat the banana halves in the beaten egg and transfer to the peanut mixture, patting if needed so that the coating sticks.
8. Fry the coated banana halves until golden brown, turning once and keep warm on a cookie sheet in a 300F oven.
9. Place 2 banana halves in each dish. Scoop one scoop of each flavor of ice cream on top. Top the chocolate ice cream with chocolate sauce, strawberry ice cream with strawberry sauce and the vanilla ice cream with crushed pineapple. Place a generous mound of whipped cream over each scoop and garnish with fresh strawberries and chopped nuts.
10. Lead your guests in your favorite team cheer "dooooooooooooooo... the dishes!"